1. You shall have no other gods.
2. You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God.
3. Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not murder.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
“I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commandments.” (Ex 20:5–6)
God’s holy law. (Rom 7:7–12)
The perfect reflection of God’s Law that’s written on our hearts. (Rom 2:15)
Tell us how to live a God pleasing life in faith toward God. (Dt 6:5; Mt 22:37)
Tell us how to live a God pleasing life of love for our neighbor. (Lev 19:18; Mt 22:39; Rom 13:10)
Direct not only outward actions but the thoughts, desires, and intentions of the heart. (Rom 7:7; Mt 5:21–26; Mt 5:27–30; Num 15:39)
Show us that we are sinners before God. (Rom 3:20)
Show us our need for a Savior. (Gal 3:24; Jm 2:10)
If you want more information on the 10 Commandments and their meanings, check out the Small Catechism.